Volunteering at Halibut Point

Tell us what you think of Sitka! Thinking about moving here? Questions about Sitka? This is the place!
abby92884

Volunteering at Halibut Point

Post by abby92884 »

Hi! My husband and I will be volunteering at Halibut Point SRS Starting March 11th through September and maybe longer. Does anyone know anybody who has volunteered there? Why don't locals volunteer there? Is there anything we should know? We are a young couple 23 and 21 and we love the outdoors and everything about it and we're really excited about the move. We are coming from Indiana so it'll be a big change- mainly the rain and looking out the window and not seeing a cornfield. My husband is going to be doing most of the work there and I am going to get a job in town, probably Mcdonalds. If there are any tips or info you give give me I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks, Abby
Lauren&Tom

Re: Volunteering at Halibut Point

Post by Lauren&Tom »

Hi Abby,

I've also posted a question on this board asking if anyone had any recommendations about what to do in mid-March since we will be visiting. There haven't been any responses, but I googled Halibut Point, since you had inquired about it, and now I know that will be a good place for us to go hiking. I also found out during my googling session that there is a festival the weekend of March 14-16, so maybe that is somewhere you and your husband can go and get more information about Sitka and Halibut Point. The website is http://sitkaspringfestival.com/Home_Page.php

I hope this helps. I think that is really great that you are doing this--I'm sure it will be a great adventure!
cheers, Lauren